Townspeople would donate money to the home to buy the children Christmas presents or a day at the movies.
This time the orphanage was built out of sandstone blocks quarried from the State Prison, the same blocks that make up the Capitol and several other buildings in town.
The cost for the new Children’s Home was $38,000, and it was finished and opened in 1903.
So here in the gymnasium we have the one remnant of the old children’s home that used to sit on the site.
And remarkably, it predates even the stone building from 1903.
Yes, it’s the Boy and Girls Club gymnasium, still standing on the same spot a hundred years ago.
State Orphan’s Home when the wooden dormitory was still standing.
And many of them went on to lead successful lives, carrying with them fond memories of their time at the children’s home.
Sunny Acres in the 1950s During the 40s and 50s the building went through several changes.
Ormsby County donated ten acres on Fifth Street just west of Stewart, which back then (and indeed up until the mid 1900s) was on the outskirts of town.